When we go to an eye specialist, we usually have complaints of blurred vision or difficulty in focussing. We also go to an eye specialist if we are affected with lifestyle disorders such as Diabetes or Hypertension.
People going for a normal eye check-up is rare until and unless they have complaints. Leading Ophthalmologists around the world agree to the fact that a healthy person should undergo eye checkups as part of their regular health check-up at least once a year. People with complaints need to do this at least once in 6 months.
This is mainly because most of the diseases can be detected early through an eye examination.Diabetic retinopathy is the leading cause of blindness in the world today. Early cataracts may be caused due to Diabetes.
Xanthelasma – a condition where there are fatty deposits around the skin of the eyes also is a sign that the lipid metabolism in your body needs better care.
The shape and position of your eyelids can help detect signs of early heart disease. The eyes can give the sign of improper metabolism. It can also show the sign of fatigue to the liver. It is high time we took care of our eyes. Let us start by taking the right steps. Ayurveda suggests many methods of protecting the eyes with certain therapies and practices which can be done regularly.
Things to be done at home:
- Regular oiling of body, specifically the feet is beneficial for eye health.
- Regular application of herbal collyrium to the eyes help maintain the moisture of the eyes.
- Proper usage of certain herbs for the collyrium can help in improving eye health
Things to be done once in 6 months:
- Undergoing certain therapies like Aschyothana and Tarpana. But these need to be done under proper medical advice from Ayurvedic Eye specialists.
- Regular Eye exercises advice can be taken from experts and can be followed properly.
- Certain Dos and Don’ts can be practiced at home.
The following are the list of Do’s and Don’ts for healthy eyes.
• Regular usage of Ghee, Butter, Milk, Buttermilk.
• Vegetables to be included in your diet like Carrot, Drumsticks, Drumstick leaves, Beetroot, Cabbage, Spinach, Green leafy vegetables, all gourd vegetables.
• Application of oil regularly to the scalp and feet, Suryanamaskara.
• Splashing lukewarm or cold water on closed eyes in the evening after a tired day.
• Using anti-glare glasses while in bright sunlight, shift the vision always while watching television or computer screen.
• 20-20-20-20 Rule – After 20 minutes in front of Backlit display, look away towards a distance of 20 feet, blink 20 times after closing your eyes for 20 seconds.
• Excess intake of black gram, horsegram, curd, sour things, alcohol, tobacco, and drinking too much of water.
• Do not stay awake during night for long time and day sleep.
• Avoid the foods which cause constipation.
• Do not have very hot water bath.
• Do not constantly read in a lying posture. Avoid watching television and computer screens for long durations.
• Do not see bright flashing lights and solar eclipse without goggles, Protect the eyes from heat, dust, smoke, corrosive gases.
Some general eye exercises can be practice for maintaining eye health: